Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St.Patrick's day.

So it's St. Patrick's day. Yeah. I stand out like a sore thumb today as I'm not wearing green. Why? Well I forgot. Is it a big deal? I don't think so. So I appreciate people not getting after me with constant questions and scoldings for the lack of vert on my clothing. I'm proud of my Irish heritage, one of my Grandmother's parents were born on the Emerald Isle, and I like to drink Guiness with the best of them. You want to show me someone not celebrating St.Paddy's day show me those people who drink regular "beer" with green food dye. I'm sorry but Coors Light with green food dye is not Irish. Drinking MGD, Kokanee, or any other beer not from Ireland is not Irish. Guiness that's where its at. "Oh but Les its so dark, and thick and hard to drink and" shut up! As a friend of mine has said Guiness is the beer of Ireland, its corporate logo (the Harp) is a symbol of the country. Ya I know Molson Canadian has a maple leaf on it and that's a symbol of Canada but its not trademarked. The harp is. So until I see you down a pint of Guiness don't say I'm not celebrating St.Patrick's day cause I am more than you are my friend. Well except maybe not including those of you who are actually full Irish and living in Ireland then you have me beat.

Now purists well get after me about how drinking beer isn't the only thing about Ireland and it has a full and rich heritage and gave the world many great gifts spanning from music, to dance, to U2, to Colin Farrell. But beer drinking is something they are more well known for. Well that and leprechauns. But I'm not about to go and kidnap me a little person am I? (Or am I?) So beer it is.

You might think that I'm being very narrow-minded. Well shut up I don't care what you think. No that's a lie I do care (comments please). But as narrow minded as I might be, I don't feel its necessary to throw on a green shirt go to work and say I'm in the Irish spirit because of this one day. That's a cop out that 90% of the population does to celebrate. I on the other hand am going to drink myself a few beers, think of the fine Irish cooking that my Grandmother used to make, think of all the things Ireland has given to society and reflect on this while spending the evening with a friend who lived there for most of his life. Listening to his stories that I've heard many times before as he is well cursed with the gift of the gab that is a staple in Irish culture and a bi-product of kissing the blarney stone (which I'm 90% sure he has). So does this make up for me not wearing a green shirt? HELL YES IT DOES!!! So to end off to the neigh-sayers who well say neigh to me I have one thing for you Póg mo thóin, Pionta Guinness, le do thoil and Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig oraibh!

Happy St. Patrick's day.

P.S. Sorry that was more of a rant than anything else. But dammit my rants are my signature pieces. As misinformed they might be they are at their core, entertaining. That's really all I have for now.

3 comments:

  1. LES!!!!! Why aren't you wearing GREEEEN today?!????!!!!!! Shame on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guiness also had the logo before the country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually Les, Graham hasn't kissed the Blarney stone...you think he has the 'gift of gab' now...can you imagine if he did kiss the Blarney stone? :)

    ReplyDelete