Thursday, January 7, 2010

Keeping with it.

Hello again,

One thing that many of us have difficulty doing is keeping to a promise, resolution, vow or any other objective. Prime example is getting on this dieting and exercising kick I've promised myself into. So far since January first I have exercise a total of 3 times for 20 mins and by exercise we are referring to running on a treadmill.

A problem preventing me to do so is an underlying health conditions on my part. I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism due to this I have a low metabolism, fatigue and near constant knee, shin and ankle pain and aches. So running is rather uncomfortable, but in the same thought so is standing and sitting. I am being medicated and these conditions are less than they were, however as any of you know who suffer from this fairly common condition getting to the right dosage can take significant time with constant blood tests and prescription fiddling. So until you get to that sweet spot you never really feel right. However I'd like to point out another issue preventing me from exercising and that is I am incredibly lazy. I know you are all incredibly shocked but it is true, I've learned to deal with it and I ask you to as well.

Now in most discussions with people I can usually argue away my reasons for laziness in every situation my close family and darling wife can all atest to that. One thing my mom always told me is I should be a lawyer when I grow up due to my arguing and reasoning skills, however this was a career choice I didn't pursue as (say it with me now) I'm just too damn lazy. But I digress, so the dilemma I face is whether its just my health condition or my laziness that prevents me from starting my exercise regiment? It could be a combo of both which I'd like to believe, but my darling wife likes to point out if I exercised more I probably wouldn't ache so much in the knees. So one leads to the other, but one prevents the other. At the risk of sounding once again cliched its a vicious circle. Like the infamous quote of Fat bastard in Austin Powers 2. He eats cause he is unhappy, and he is unhappy cause he eats. I come to the conclusion I have alot in common with this rotund umm bastard (couldn't think of another word). I'm not fat I know, but I have packed on some pounds in the years, I am often a bastard and I am stuck in this same vicious circle. So the trick is? Getting over the hump.

Ah the hump, that foul temptress that has prevented and plague mankind for countless millenia. Always there to thrwat and ruin any...OK enough you get it. So what I'm saying is I must get over this hump that prevents me from exercising. Which brings me back to my earlier point. Is this hump my laziness or my hypothyroidism? I guess the best way to tackle it would to assume the former over the latter and just get it done already instead of using my illness as a crutch. So in the end I guess that's what I'll do...only problem is its soooo hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment